Lobbying airport quarantine plans
With just a few days to go before the introduction of 14-day quarantine measures, tourism leaders from the north of England – led by Marketing Manchester – have written to the UK Government to ask for a more targeted, risk-based approach to the screening of passengers arriving in the country and for restrictions to be lifted at the earliest opportunity.
Ten Destination Management Organisations (DMOs) from across the North say that the Government’s newly quarantine plans for air passengers arriving into the UK will have serious consequences for the tourism and hospitality industry and will severely impede the sector’s ability to restart and recover.
Read the full press release and our joint letter here or the Manchester Evening News report here.
With lockdown timelines for some areas of the Tourism, Hospitality and Leisure economy now becoming clearer, we are keen to know your plans for reopening as well as your concerns, needs and wants.
We have constructed a very short survey which we would be grateful if you could take a moment to complete – it should take less than ten minutes and the information provided will help us shape the final draft of our campaign before we share it for feedback and input.
Reopening the visitor economy and building customer confidence – Wednesday 10 June
Tourism, Hospitality and Leisure is worth £9 billion to Greater Manchester’s economy and supports over 101,000 jobs. As a valued Marketing Manchester partner, you will be aware of how rapidly the visitor economy was growing in the years prior to COVID-19. We are now looking at a different future in which adaptability and resilience are going to be key.
Building on our previous webinars for the industry, we would like to invite our partners to join us as we discuss how businesses can prepare for re-opening, what new industry standards look like and the steps we all need to take to stimulate the industry.
Sheona Southern will be facilitating the webinar with a highly respected panel of speakers, including:
- Jane Uttley, Head of Business Transformation Project at VisitEngland
- Nicola Cunningham, Area Manager – North and Central England at Expedia Travel
- Dave Harrison, Operations Director at Centre for Assessment
- Awaiting confirmation of a representative from Capita Travel & Events
The webinar will run 11:30-13:00 on Wednesday 10 June and will include time for questions.
Partners can register at click here.
Manchester Misses You campaign
The campaign, featured on the Visit Manchester website provides visitors with vibrant virtual content including cultural and education experiences from across Greater Manchester, that can be enjoyed from home.
The response to the campaign has been fantastic – so thank you – we have published over 85 articles on the website, which has received 51,000 visitors over the past few weeks, 1.3 million impressions on Twitter and over 2.1 million impressions on Facebook.
We need more of your great content to share across our channels to keep feeding the campaign and showcasing the breath of our brilliant destination. Please send all contributions to email@example.com.
In addition to sharing content for the Manchester Misses You campaign, we are keen to receive positive news stories from our partners that we can amplify via our corporate channels as we gradually move out of lockdown. Recent news worth sharing includes:
- Emirates Old Trafford to host England Men’s behind-closed-doors Tests in July
- BusyBus creates innovative single-use PPE travel packs in response to COVID-19 concerns
- Tatton Park to reopen its parkland to the public on 3 June
- Museum of Transport Greater Manchester volunteers get Royal recognition
If you have news to share please email it to firstname.lastname@example.org FAO of Andy Parkinson. Please also add this email address to your media/press distribution lists.
Tourism and Hospitality Support Hub
To make sure that tourism and hospitality businesses are given the most up to date information, we continue to service the Tourism and Hospitality Support Hub to signpost and connect the sector to advice, webinars, support and guidance across a variety of areas.
The Hub includes a series of FAQs. If you have any specific questions or would like to talk to someone, we have set up an email address and number to contact us on: email@example.com.
Business support and advice
- UK Government Business Support
- UK Government guidance for employers and businesses
- New guidance for employers and employees regarding the CJRS
- UK Government advice for accommodation providers
- VisitBritain UK travel industry advice
- VisitBritain Business Advice Hub
- Local Authority Grant Funding
- Marketing Manchester Tourism and Hospitality Support Hub
- Business Growth Hub resource portal
- UKHospitality advice for the hospitality industry
- UKHospitality guidance on business continuity, including for accommodation premises
- ACAS practical information on coronavirus
- Manchester City Council information for businesses and employers
- Cash Grant for Retail, Hospitality and Leisure
- HMRC Guidance on Self-Employment Support
- HMRC Guidance on allowable expenses, trading profits and total income inclusions
- Hospitality leasehold protection information
- Self-Employment Income Support Scheme
- Future Fund provides convertible loans of between £125k-5m to UK-based companies, subject to at least equal match funding from private investors
- Easing of Lockdown: Manchester Business Guidance
Health and well being
- Self-Catering COVID Cleaning Protocols
- Back to Work COVID-19 Risk Assessment Templates and Guidance
- Public Health England: what you need to know
- NHS advice
- UK Government guidance on staying at home and away from others
- Stay at home guidance for people with confirmed or possible coronavirus (COVID-19) infection
- Safe working guidance
- Use of public transport for those who have to
- Travelling safely
- How to carry out a COVID-19 risk assessment
- Cleaning your workplace safely
Surveys, workshops and webinars
- Multiple dates – Webinar – Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme – How to make a claim
- Multiple dates – Webinar – Coronavirus COVID-19 Statutory Sick Pay Rebate Scheme
- Webinar – helping employers to support employees
- Webinar – job retention scheme webinars
- Survey – Heritage Lottery Fund
- Workshop – Free online workshops from Tourism Knowhow